LinkedIn is the preeminent social platform for business relationships and networking. It provides an opportunity to tap into niche markets and conversations that are happening in your industry. According to a study by Marketing Charts on The Channels and Content Types B2B Marketers That Are Generating Leads and Revenue, 89% of B2B marketers consider LinkedIn to be the biggest social media lead-generator (double that of Facebook and Twitter). If you are not using LinkedIn to generate leads and create relationships with potential clients, you are missing out on a massive opportunity.
LinkedIn is a place to get industry knowledge, ask specific questions and research target markets and influencers. The potential is thrilling, but how do you make sure your experience on LinkedIn is effective, and does not lead to endless scrolling? Here are a few key LinkedIn tips and tricks to generate the most qualified leads.
- Put your contact information in your profile. Include both relevant personal information and company contact options including email, phone, website, and social media channels.
- Set your profile to be open. On LinkedIn, you are required to be connected with someone to send them a message, and vice-versa. However, if you change your profile settings to “open” then anyone can send you a message, and vice-versa. In addition, open profiles share more information with potential connections including your current and post positions. This leads to broader connecting opportunities.
- Change your profile to your name. When you create a LinkedIn profile, the URL associated is only a series of numbers. You can change this to your name, creating a much more professional appearance. When viewing your profile, hit the “Edit public profile” tab on the right-hand side, and you will be given the option to edit your URL.
Lead Generation Tips
- Request an introduction. If you have a mutual connection with a potential lead, request an introduction. This will create an immediate trust and level of respect with the new contact.
- Observe Profile Views. Keep up on who has viewed your profile and reach out to them.
- Import connections from your pre-existing contacts. In the Network tab, there is an option to reach out to current contacts by adding their email address.
- Stay informed via newsfeed updates. Constantly check the newsfeed to be up-to-date on network updates. Use the feed as a snap shot of what your connections are up to, what they are talking about, who the influencers are and what factors would most likely engage your potential leads. Engage with posts to allow your network to become familiar with you and create name recognition.
- Share and Tag industry related content. Share content and take advantage of tagging and linking to industry leaders and relevant parties to build a reputation as an industry thought-leader. Engage with content that your company shares to increase impressions and overall reach of your message.
One of the best features of LinkedIn for Lead generation is the Groups feature. Groups are a “place for professionals in the same industry or with similar interests to share content, find answers, post and view jobs, make business contacts, and establish themselves as industry experts.” Creating or joining groups in your industry is an excellent way to gain information on your target markets, establish yourself as an industry leader and grow a community of advocates.
- Brand Consistency. Make sure the logo of your group is consistent with your brand and other social pages. Keep your message and bio clear and concise so members know exactly what the group is about.
- Be Specific. Research your buyer personas, and make sure your group is specific to your target markets at every level of the buyer process.
- Consistently Engage. Increase the ranking of your group by constantly engaging with it – both by sharing original content such as whitepapers, blog and case studies, and by creating conversations with members. Provide insights, be transparent and connect with many networks.